Friday, May 29, 2020

Career Challenge

  
Picture not mine. I just saw this circulating on social media so I am answering it. :)

1. CHILDHOOD AMBITION – I wanted to be a writer or a teacher, I was so sure of that when I was a child.  On my Elementary days, I used to write stories in a piece of paper and I distribute them to my classmates. They actually enjoyed reading them, so I thought I’m going to be writer. In highschool up to college, I was writing poems too, but during those days, I don’t really have readers, my works  mostly for my eyes only. I became dubious of my ability, surely I loved writing but I’m not good at it. There were times I feel like I’m just wasting my time on my trumperies, but there were also days that I didn’t really care if I'm doing it well, coz I loved it! So I keep writing --- for myself.

Also on my elementary days, I was fervently thinking I’m going to be a teacher, just like my Educator father. I remember him asking me to check his student’s Test Papers which I never complained. While writing this, some memories flashed in. I played the role of a teacher to my younger siblings, I made questionnaires and let them participate. I had that grading notebook too where I invented names of students and graded them.. haha.. (parang natatawa ako, para pala akong tanga noon.) I just lost that merriment in teaching when I reached high school. I realized that my confidence in public speaking is only applicable to my siblings and not in front of other people.

2.COLLEGE COURSE. I spent 6 years in college! Yes, I’m not a bad student, I might not be that diligent and intelligent, but surely I wasn’t neglectful or delinquent type. And maybe because Engineering is really tough for someone not good in Math (that’s me). I first took Electronics Communication Engineering, not because I loved it, but maybe because it’s a trend, and it’s cool? I even have units in Agriculture Engineering then finally I shifted to Civil Engineering. I never had good grades in  my Engineering related subjects, though I had 1.0 in Philosophy, Life of Rizal (haha) and other high grades on my other not Engineering related subjects. Grateful that I passed the Civil Engineering Licensure Exam on my first take coz I might think that I really took the wrong path if I didn’t make it.

3.CURRENT JOB. I’m currently a Cost & Contracts Engineer in one of the Country’s Quadruple A construction company. For almost a decade, I’m now on my third project. Happy? Sometimes yes, sometimes not. Civil Engineering is a wide range profession, there are lots of specialties and I am so used to my current position that I actually forgot the other trades. So if you ask me to design your house, I might need a review. Haha..  When you are labeled as Engineer, they thought you are something, yeah, I’ve been to some head wracking situations but its not always like that.  Sometimes, I feel that I’m just working coz I need to earn my own money. I’m not complaining, but there were moments that I still think what if I pursued my childhood ambition, will I be happier?  I’m still looking forward to that day, where I'll get excited waking up each day coz I'm about to do something that I really love doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment